PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
We are committed to providing you with the highest levels of customer service. This includes protecting your privacy. Set out below is information that we are required to communicate to our customers subject to the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
Personal information held by us may include your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone or mobile telephone number, email address, bank account or credit card details, occupation, driver's licence number and your Goodtel account username and password. We also hold details of your services with Goodtel.
If you choose not to provide certain personal information (e.g. your date of birth), we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service you require.
Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to us (such as your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and to advise them that we can be contacted for further information. (see 'How to contact Us' at the end of this section).
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information may be used to:
- verify your identity
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with better service; and
- maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems.
Also, your personal information is collected so that we can promote and market our services to you (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, SMS and email messages). We do this to keep you informed of our products, services and special offers.
If you do not wish us to promote and market our products, services and special offers to you, please call 1800 114 663. In relation to marketing and promotional material sent via email, we will send such material only if you elect to receive it (i.e. opt-in) or if it is provided in response to your request.
WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to deliver the services you require, we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside of Goodtel. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to us providing our services to you.
These organisations carry out our:
- customer enquiries;
- mailing enquiries;
- billing and debt recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- installation, maintenance and repair services;
- marketing, telemarketing and door knocking services;
- market research; and;
- website usage analysis.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisers (e.g. when requested by you to do so);
- credit reporting and fraud checking agencies;
- credit providers (for credit related purposes such as credit-worthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing);
- our related companies;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- other telecommunication and information service providers (for example, if you obtain services from other providers, we may need to disclose your personal information for billing services);
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law; and
- organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR CREDIT INFORMATION TO A CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY (PRIVACY ACT 1988)
Goodtel may give information about you to a credit reporting agency, for the following purposes:
- To obtain a commercial or consumer credit report about you, and/or;
- To allow the credit reporting agency to create or maintain a credit information file containing information about you.
The information is limited to:
- Identity particulars - your name, sex, address (and the previous two addresses) date of birth, name of employer, and drivers licence number obtain a consumer credit report about you, and/or;
- Your application for credit or commercial credit - the fact that you have applied for credit and the amount;
- The fact that Goodtel is a current credit provider to you;
- Amounts which are overdue by more than 60 days, and for which debt collection action has started;
- Advice that your account is no longer overdue in respect of any default that has been listed;
- Information that, in the opinion of Goodtel you have committed a serious credit infringement (that is, fraudulently or shown an intention not to comply with your credit obligations);
- Dishonoured cheques drawn by you for $100 or more which have been dishonoured more than once; and
- That credit provided to you Goodtel has been paid or otherwise discharged.
PERIOD TO WHICH THIS UNDERSTANDING APPLIES
This information may be given before, during or after the provision of credit to you.
CALLING NUMBER DISPLAY
Calling Number Display (CND) is a service that lets persons who receive phone calls identify who is calling them by displaying the caller's number. CND forms part of the ordinary telephone service that you purchase from us.
Unless you have chosen to block your phone number, CND will usually cause your phone number to be displayed (or logged) locally and sometimes internationally on a receiving caller's phone (and to other network operators).
INTEGRATED PUBLIC NUMBER DATABASE
We are required by law to comply with and industry-wide database of phone numbers, known as the Integrated Public Number Database (IPND). The IPND is used to publish public number directories, provide directory assistance, operate emergency call services and safeguard national security. The IPND is not used for other purposes.
To satisfy our legal obligations, we are required to provide your phone number (as well as other personal information such as your name, address and service location) to the IPND. All other telecommunications carriers are required to do the same.
If you have a silent line, your number will not be published in public number directories or be disclosed by directory assistants, even though it must be provided to the IPND for the above uses.
We provide products and services via our various websites. When you visit our sites, our web servers record anonymous information such as the time, date and URL of the request. This information assists us to improve the structure of our websites and monitor their performance.
We may use 'cookies' on various websites. Cookies are an industry standard and most major websites use them. A cookie is a small text file that our websites may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our websites to remember your preferences. As such, cookies are designed to improve your experience of our websites.
In some cases, cookies may collect and store personal information about you. We extend the same privacy protection to your personal information, whether gathered via cookies or from other sources. You can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies are being used. However, if you disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain areas of our websites or take advantage of the improved website experience that cookies offer.
We also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the Internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. We collect and manage IP addresses as part of the service of providing Internet session management and for security purposes.
HELP US TO ENSURE THAT WE HOLD ACCURATE INFORMATION
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
That's why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name and address.
YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.
We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact us on 1800 114 663 between 9.00am and 5.00pm (AEST) Monday to Friday. Alternatively you may write to our Privacy Manager at Goodtel Communications Pty Ltd, Level 4, 80 Market Street, South Melbourne, Victoria 3205.
PRIVACY COLLECTION STATEMENT
REASON FOR COLLECTION
Personal information is collected for a number of reasons, these include:
- Provide and manage the services and products that we provide to you;
- Advise you of changes and improvements in the services and products we provide you;
- Marketing products and services to you; and
- Comply with our legal obligations.
In certain circumstances we may also collect sensitive information about you. As an example this may include whether you require life support equipment or a back to base monitored alarm.
By providing us your information, you give your expressed consent to our exchanging of your information with our related corporate bodies, agents and contractors (such as call centres and third party suppliers like NBNTM), some of whom may be located outside of Australia, and, where relevant, our wholesale service partners. If you provide us with personal information about another person please make sure that you tell that person about this privacy statement. To access the personal information we hold about you, please call us on 1800 114 663.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from us that are non-account related or legally required, you may request to opt-out from receiving such marketing communication by contacting us on 1800 114 663 or by emailing email@example.com. We will not charge you for any request to opt-out and will process your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
NATIONAL RELAY & INTERPRETING SERVICE
If you have a disability or do not have English as your first language, the Australian Government provides services to assist in understanding & communicating with us. The National Relay Service contact number is 133 677. The number for the Translating & Interpreting Service is 131 450.
APPOINTMENT OF ADVOCATE OR AUTHORISED REPRESENTATIVE
If you wish to appoint an advocate or authorised representative to act on your behalf when making an enquiry regarding your account please request an Appointment of Advocate or Authorised Representative form by calling 1800 114 663.